Monday, June 9, 2008

Amarin Thai: Fire and Brimstone!

Brace yourself for the rant you're about to read. I've just returned from dinner and not only is my tongue on fire... so are my... never mind! I really wanted to cook dinner tonight. I was feeling like a little cod with puy lentils and a big juicy Indian mango for dessert. But alas! It was not to be.

When I say I eat out a lot - trust you me, it's not an exaggeration. Take today for instance: I've eaten 2 meals, both outside. I have many many many days like today. It's terrible, I know. But when you're offered a chance to be "served on" instead of "doing the serving" - any sane person in their right minds would choose the former. I am no exception (although I can be insane at times, in many ways). Tonight, I got served.



We've been to "Amarin: Heavenly Thai" at Mid-Valley Mall (2nd floor, Centre Court) before. It's a great Thai place and the prices are not extortionate either. I love my food pungent. If I don't see a chilli lurking around my food, I can't eat it. I have a problem... seriously. Well, I can say Amarin safely put those problems to rest (I am sure for the time being). I think I'm going to go on a full-on bland diet for a few years after our dinner tonight.



We ordered the staple: Green Curry Chicken and Stir-Fry Chicken with Holy Basil. My husband requested the waitress to get the chef to tone down the spice in the curry (we've eaten here before and the curry is exceptionally hot). What arrived at our table and eventually got to our mouths was nothing short of fire and brimstone - yowzers!



It was insane... even for me (just to put things into perspective: I eat green chillies raw all the time. I even won a little trophy for eating the most dynamite buffalo wings... in Buffalo, NY!). My mouth and insides were on fire after eating the curry. The Stir-fry Chicken with Holy Basil was indicated as "hot" on the menu but was NOTHING close to even salty. I'm not even going to tell you what was going on with the hubby. I could literally see the steam coming out of his ears...

Thing is, it's not the first time we've eaten here. We order the Green Curry Chicken each time we come to Amarin. They do make a decent Green Curry - it's better than all the other Thai places I've eaten at. I'm not sure what happened today. I think the waitress got all confused. What about "Please ask the chef not the make the curry too spicy" did she not understand? I don't think we'll be coming back here again unless we're totally desparate!

Here's what we ate and drank:

Green Curry Chicken
Stir-fry Chicken with holy basil
Perrier
Diet Coke
2 bowls of Steamed Rice

Bill: RM 55.00 (that's super cheap!)

Other noteable mentions: Pandan Chicken (marinated chicken wrapped in Pandan leaves and then deep-fried - better at Busaba Ethai in London), Soom Tham (a shredded papaya salad - again, they make it super spicy here), Tom Yum Ghai (Clear soup with seafood - ultimate spicy, with loads of bird-eye chilli... can't eat it without rice), deep-fried catfish with mango salad (more batter than fish - actually, there was no fish to be found!). A lot of their seafood is deep fried (so a huge no-no for me).

I'm back home now, on my couch, plotting an excuse to miss gym tonight (I've already missed 2 days). I'm half-way through a book I can't seem to put down, "My Cousin Rachel" by Daphne Du Maurier. With fire raging in my belly, gym is the last thing on my mind. But, I'm 57kgs too fat and need to get into that dress I've been eyeing for the longest time at Zara. I might as well just go. Can't beat the happy feelings of the endorphins kicking in after a good workout.

Right now though... nothing like sipping on a cold ice Milo... ahhhh!

No comments: